Want My Button?

Blog Button

My Etsy Shop

On The Lookout For...

- Antique fans
- Vintage buttons
- Milk glass
- Antique Ball jars
- Vintage fabric
- Vintage coffee filters

Thanks For Featuring Me!

Search This Blog

Sunday

DIY: Growth Chart

I'm having SO much fun! Next weekend I'm heading over to my friend's house to celebrate her daughter's (Kayla) 1st birthday.  So this weekend, I'm working on Kayla's presents. And I'm jumping up and down over how this growth chart is coming along.  It's pretty much done, but I'm working on packaging it up.  So here's a sneak peek...

I was completely inspired by THIS picture on Etsy. 








This is the first time I've worked with burlap.  I love the look of it, but I think I'm allergic to it.  Every time I worked with it, my eyes itched.  Weird. 


I started out by stitching black thread through some of the burlap, but it wasn't popping so I decided to use ribbon.  I used Liquid Stitch to adhere it to the burlap.

Then I attached dowels to the top and bottom also using Liquid Stitch, then pinned it until it dried completely.


I wanted to put numbers on the growth chart, so I tried to decide what to use.  First I tried painting on acrylic but didn't like the look.  Then I tried writing it on with a Sharpie, but didn't like that look either.  Then it dawned on me that I have a craft room FILLED with stamps and ink.

At first I wanted to use craft ink because it's really thick and I thought that it would work well on burlap.  My only concern was that because craft ink is so thick, it takes a LOOONG time for it to dry.  I didn't want it smudging all over the place.  So I pulled out my Staz On ink pad and made a sample of both. The top 14 was made with Staz On and the bottom two numbers were stamped with the StampinUp! craft pad shown.

The numbers were crisper with Staz On and I knew it would dry well, so that's what I went with.  Staz On is great... you can use it on any surface including glass and metal and it's permanent.

I prepared my acrylic block by drawing hashmarks to use as a guideline when placing my stamps on it.

I LOVE using clear stamps especially on a project like this.  I love being able to see EXACTLY where I'm placing my image.

Ooooooo!  It's totally coming together and I'm LOVING the look!

Next I made the tags that will be used to document her growth over the years.  I think it would be cute to have her write her name on the tags so they can document both her growth and penmanship over the years.  Eeeekkkk!!  I'm getting giddy imagining it.  I just LOVE kids' writing.


Hmmm... I hope my friend doesn't check my blog.  That's the problem with blogging and making presents, I get too excited about finishing a project and can't wait to post it.  I'll have to TRY and use some restraint in the other projects I'm working on for her... Onesies!!!! Eeeeekkkkk!!! I love them!

*There's still time to enter the giveaway for a coffee cozy and Starbucks gift card HERE*


17 comments:

niartist said...

This is precious! I love it!!! So ingenius and unique! Great job!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Awesome idea! LOVE IT!!! It looks spectacular!

Julie said...

That is incredible. I love it! Such a great gift. I hope you will join me at The Persimmon Perch for Made it Mondays. Mister Linky is up and ready for you to enter.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That looks WONDERFUL. And this is such a very helpful post. I have been thinking of doing something with burlap, and now you have answered so many questions for me. I can't thank you enough!

Happy Met Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

~Proper Prim~ said...

wOw that is just too cool... I love it and so easy... I have been looking for a permanent ink pad forever... thanks for the info... I am off to find me one of them and some burlap...thanks for sharing.

Leanne said...

How cute is that! I'm going to have to make a few of those for my grandsons. Thanks for sharing!

Moore Minutes said...

This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! You did an amazing job. I would love to have one of those. :) Good work!

Happy Met Monday!

http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/10/walls-wrapped-in-charm.html

Funky Junk Interiors said...

What a beautifully beautiful AND thoughtful gift! I LOVE the homespun quality of everything you've done!

Truely stunning. You should sell them. This project is just that good.

Thanks for linking up to the party!

Funky Junk Donna

Roeshel said...

Catching up - this is such a CUTE idea! I love all of your creative projects. :)

Roeshel

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Once again - awesome. I forgot about this one when I was making my little list. Thanks for linking it up!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute and clever!

XOOX
Jen

Jane said...

I love this project...thanks for the idea, the step-by-step instructions and the tips on the inks.
Jane

Melissa said...

I love this post! I am new to the stamping world, but I might just have to look into the clear blocks and numbers and staz-on so that I can create this for my son's first birthday.

Sharon Sews said...

This is a great idea. I've so many friends with little ones and this would make a wonderful gift. Thanks!

Amy @ Design-Aholic said...

Just bookmarked this for my future file! :) Love it!

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous present. Beautiful!!!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

This is super cool, I did a post featuring awesome DIY growth charts and wanted to let you know you've been featured today!
Feel free to come grab a sticker;)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio